Monday 23 February 2009

Sushi, Sushi, Sushi at Kampachi

Actually, we had a whole load more than sushi at Kampachi that evening after our disastrous lunch at Delicious. One of the more established names, Kampachi has been serving great Japanese food since I was a kid. Alright, so Bangi is a wee bit far out .... but it's not so far for any Malaysian in search of food :D - I have noticed that Malaysians in general would happily drive for hours for a good meal. Yes, there are a few Kampachis in KL BUT they don't serve a buffet dinner every night.

I hadn't had any Japanese food in quite a long time at that point and I was like a child in a candy store. I wanted everything and wasn't quite sure where to start. Razan it seems, in the few years since I last saw her, has turned into the sushi queen - she ate over 30 pieces all by herself. Her claim, I didn't keep count :) But seriously, even if she did eat half that number ...where could she possibly put it all?

Sushi and sashimi - Kampachi, Bangi

First up - it just had to be sushi, didn't it? A plate of assorted sushi and sashimi. Remember this is a buffet and it is in the middle of Bangi - probably "in the middle of where???" for most people, so I wasn't expecting top grade stuff. It was still great and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Unagi and Cucumber Roll- Kampachi, Bangi

I like most things with grilled unagi (eel) on it and the kappamaki (cucumber roll) topped with grilled unagi and mayonnaise was lovely.

Salmon Sashimi - Kampachi, Bangi

Salmon sashimi is always good ... I made sure I had my fill to last me through long months of sushi/sashimi deprivation in London.

Kaki Fried - Kampachi, Bangi

Ohhhh the lovely, lovely kaki fried. Gorgeously juicy oysters covered in a panko crumbs and deep fried. I'm a real sucker for these especially when they're covered in bulldog sauce. As they were being cooked to order at one of the counters, there weren't many that lay around for too long. But the chef must have been slightly off that evening ... some batches were perfectly cooked and some were overcooked and a little dry.

Oden - Kampachi, Bangi

Delicious bowls of Oden, a Japanese winter hotpot of sorts. Filled with lots of yummy things - fishcakes in various forms and daikon to name a few in a lovely broth. The best thing was probably the daikon - sweet whilst picking up the subtle flavouring from the dashi.

I had a load more things but it to a point where I was too busy eating to notice that I hadn't taken any photos :) I have to admit that we went back twice - the first time my mother was feeling a little too poorly to attend her own birthday dinner. Definitely no complains on my part :)

Kampachi
Equatorial Hotel Bangi-Putrajaya, Off Persiaran Bandar, 43650 Bandar Baru Bangi, Selangor

No comments: