Friday 18 February 2011

Dubai with a Bang!

Burj Khalifa - Dubai
The impressive Burj Khalifa, previously known as the Burj Dubai

Burj Khalifa - Dubai
The equally impressive dancing fountains at the base of the Burj Khalifah

My twenty hours in Dubai was a whirlwind of big brand madness. Glimpses of the Atlantis, Mirage, Armani and lord knows how many other gazillion star hotels, browsing through the stores of big fashion labels crammed into the Dubai Mall and chowing my way through some delights offered by some well known high street names of the foodie world.

Fro-Yo - Red Mango, Dubai Mall
Fro-yo at Red Mango - a small original with 3 weenie scoops sliced strawberries and a scoop of dark chocolate chips

It started with Pinkberry on my way out to Colombo. On the way back it was Red Mango (triple servings of strawberries and one of dark chocolate chips), a red velvet cupcake from Magnolia Bakery at Bloomingdale's and salad on the terrace at Joe's Cafe overlooking the dancing fountains (Joe's as in fashion brand Joseph).

Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting - Magnolia Bakery, Bloomingdale's Dubai
Breakfast! A red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting from Magnolia bakery

I have to say Dubai was a real eye opener. Luxury dripped off the silk lined walls and money (or the seemingly oodles of it) screamed from the rooftop of every skyscraper. It's almost expected of me to say that I hated it but I didn't. Quite the opposite in fact. I think I could quite happily live there. Sure, everything is man made and more than just a little superficial but life can be comfortable. And I think I'll happily go for comfortable.

Salade Niçoise - Joe's Café, Dubai
Salade Niçoise at Joe's Café

Dubai
Man made - every inch of it and yet surprisingly tranquil when it wants to be

2 comments:

Rafleesia said...

hmmm. don't think i've seen the words tranquil and dubai in one sentence before. but trust u to find it. anyway, where are the posts on lanka?

Milly said...

I'm loving your blog, I'm following!

Would love you to enter my amazing GIVEAWAY- to win a pasta making course and meal with wine for two:

http://thoroughlymodernmilly5.blogspot.com/2011/02/best-gievaway-yet-ida-restaurant-pasta.html

xx