Sunday 20 September 2009

Uncle Lim's Chicken Curry Puffs

For all my excitement of the chicken curry puffs that I brought home from Uncle Lim's Kitchen yesterday, they totally slipt from my mind and were left sitting a little forlorn in the greasy paper bag they came in. Imagine my delight when I spotted them this morning - no boring toast for me this morning!

Uncle Lim's Chicken Curry Puffs

I would love to say I was totally organised and laid my treasure trove on a warmed baking tray, which then went into a heated oven for precisely 7 and a half minutes but I can't. I popped my curry puff (the other belonged to Stuart who would probably consume it at some other point) on top of the toaster (ohhh how I miss the toaster ovens that we get in Malaysia!) and pressed the little lever down. I turned the curry puff over when I smelt a little burning (evidence on the two little burn marks as seen in the photos) and toasted the other side. All done in about 2 minutes and no baking trays to clean :D

Uncle Lim's Chicken Curry Puffs

Emm... I smell chicken and potato curry. And this was before I even cut the pastry in half. With a pastry more puff than crisp (although tradition dictates otherwise) these beauties were large - they would have made the currypuffs from a roadside stall in Southeast Asia look puny. Taste wise it was pretty good - spices coming through well. A nice ratio of chicken to potato but as usual the glut in me always bemoans the meagre amount of filling in curry puffs :)

£1 per chicken curry puff from Uncle Lim's Kitchen

2 comments:

penny aka jeroxie said...

this curry puff looks different but I prefer it. Seems quite light and yummy :)

Luscious Temptations said...

This was indeed different - made with puff pastry and baked instead of fried (I think ..it was definitely not at all that greasy but then again I've never tried to deep fry puff pastry before:) I think this would be quite simple to make at home too since puff pastry is so readily available in the shops.