Sunday 24 October 2010

Tempura Udon

Tempura Udon - Weeknight Dinner

I think I might just have found myself a winner batch of batter! Whoop whoop! A big thank you to the Japanese and their technique of using ice/cold water - I should never have doubted you. I have to say my fritters or should I say tempura was bloody fantastic. Light and crisp ... sigh ....

Prawn Tempura - Weeknight Dinner

Tempura
Prawns - I could only get hold of a packet of pre-cooked teeny weeny prawns so I went with that
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup corn flour
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup cold/ice water
Oil for deep frying
  • Mix the plain and corn flours and the salt in a mixing bowl. Add in the water and mix the batter lightly. You don't want to over mix it and definitely want it a bit lumpy. Tip the prawns into the batter
  • Heat the oil in a deep pan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it.
  • Add a tablespoonful of prawns and batter into the hot oil. Cook the batter in batches of 2-3 fritters per batch for 2-3 minutes each, or until crisp and golden. When cooking in batches, ensure you leave enough space between them to ensure they don't merge into a large fritter.
  • Carefully remove each fritter from the oil and drain on kitchen paper. Serve.
I served my prawn tempura with udon and broccoli.

2 comments:

Rafleesia said...

Oh thanks for this! Been looking for a decent tried n tested batter recipe for ages. Got a non-tempura batter recipe?

Luscious Temptations said...

Do you have access to buttermilk in KL? It's seriously worth getting your hands on - buttermilk fried chicken - OMG!!! CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!!! Check out Martha Stewert's (I know you lurve her!) recipe - http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/buttermilk-fried-chicken

I didn't use this recipe but something quite similar.