Saturday 2 October 2010

Wantons - Weekend Cooking

A visit to my uncle and his family always means one thing - food ... and lots of it. My last trip up I made wantons. Or should I say, we made wantons. It's always nice to have a few helpers about the kitchen :)

Wanton Filling - Weekend Cooking

We decided on a mix of pork and prawns for our wantons. Minced pork, diced prawns, water chestnuts, chives and a dollop of grated ginger.

Wanton Filling - Weekend Cooking

A good mix of all the ingrediants with a good splash of soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame seed oil and white pepper. The mixture was then left to rest for an hour or so to let the flavours fuse.

Wanton Filling - Weekend Cooking

I also mixed up a batch of wanton filling minus the pork for my cousin LH who isn't at all that keen on meat.

Prawn Wantons - Weekend Cooking

The wantons all prettily wrapped up and the sides sealed shut with a paste made with a touch corn starch and a drop or two of water.

Wanton Filling - Weekend Cooking

The extra pork and prawn wantons were rolled into little balls to be cooked in a broth along with the soup wantons.

Prawn Wantons - Weekend Cooking

Deep fried to golden brown gorgeous-ness. There was a ton more wantons, some prettier than others but all just as delicious. No photos of the wantons and meatballs in the soup, I'm afraid. They were not at all photogenic.

No comments: