Saturday 26 April 2008

Onigiri Introduced


I have fallen well and truly under the spell of the onigiri rice-ball. Although I've heard of it for years as Japan's favourite snack food, I don't think I had ever seen it until a few years ago. And even then I poo-pooed it....Rice in seaweed....just like those horrid hand-rolls! I like sushi and like sashimi even more but hand-rolls I do not understand. Perhaps it stems from the soggy, over-generous seaweed in rolls I've had when I was younger at Japanese restaurants as till this day tend to stay well away from them.


Curiosity did get the better of me last year when I bought my first rice-ball. And I have never looked back. The clever plastic pakaging ever conveniently separates the rice from the seaweed but beware...you have to be prepared to wolf the rice-ball down once rice meets seaweed. No problem... it should be gone in about 5 bites :) I particularly like the salmon onigiri from Wasabi (chains all around London with a large variety of single/double packed sushi, sushi plates and hot food - tofu jahang and spicy chicken with rice is particularly good for a cheap-ish filling meal), which comes in handy for breakfast when I cannot bear another mouthful of muesli for breakfast :)

No comments: