Friday 19 September 2008

Little Toasts

A few weeks ago my friends who were supposed to come round for dinner ran late - 2 hours late! Starving but unwilling to stuff myself with toast or instant noodles, I made up a few of these little toasted baguettes to tide Stuart and myself over.

Prawn Cocktail on Toasted French Loaf

I rummaged through the fridge and found some prawns and leftover ceasar dressing. The sliced baguette was lightly toasted on the griddle pan (I would very likely have lost them in the toaster!) and topped with rocket leaves and the prawn, which I had mixed with the ceasar dressing, a light squeeze of ketchup, lemon juice and cracked black pepper. Why ketchup? Well, I was thinking along the lines of a marie rose sauce :)

Lamb Stew on Toasted French Loaf

The second batch of baguette toasts I topped with some of stewed lamb I was making for dinner and a sprinkling of chopped coriander. I exactly remember what into making the lamb - but off the top of my head - de-boned lamb leg steaks, onions, garlic, tinned tomatoes, peppers, courgettes and a spice mix of ground cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, cumin.

Verdict?
Rather good for something that was rummaged up :) The prawns that came pre-cooked from the supermarket were crunchy, fresh and went really well with my "marie rose" sauce. The lamb was tender but slightly lacking in "oomph" - depth. I got a little desperate in the end as I tried adding other bits in to bring out more flavour - ie: maggie seasoning! Haha a lifesaver that ;)

No comments: