Monday 1 September 2008

Roast Chicken Legs with Rice Salad

Roast Chicken with Rice Salad

I'm quite fond of chicken legs - lots of moist meat, especially when it's left on the bone. My fondness for this bit of meat has even rubbed off on Stuart, who was a confirmed white meat eater until I started cooking for him :) What's even better is that it's so much cheaper than buying chicken breasts in the UK. Yay - even more of a reason to love dark meat!

Roasted Chicken Pieces
I used a dry rub on the chicken pieces (I cut the legs in half - thighs and drumsticks) of English mustard powder (Colman's, of course), black pepper and garlic and coriander powder that I picked up from the halal butcher down the road. The chicken went into a hot oven set to 180°C for about 30-40 minutes, or until the meat is cooked and the skin is golden brown.

Rice Salad
Leftover rice is pretty good for this salad or if you don't have any sitting around, boil some up and leave it to cool to room temperature. You don't really want stone cold or boiling hot rice for this dish. I then cut up some cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, blanched baby corn and snow peas into chunks and added them to the rice. I also added some blanched sweet corn kernels and some freshly cut mint and basil from my plants on the balcony. I made a quick dressing from sunflower oil, lime juice, black pepper and equal measures of soy sauce and fish sauce. A quick shake in an old jam jar and poured it over the rice and vegetables. A good mix and it's ready to serve.

No comments: